Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Education Gonnegtion


2 May 2013
            Meyer Wolfsheim here. I report now from inside a classroom, and one of English at that. Just my luck! But where business takes me, I follow. I must admit, I felt utterly swindled when Gatsby’s reported to me this morning that I would travel so far into the future to reach our current client. But why would I protest the big man himself? I crawled through his little bookshelf and emerged from a closet in a classroom. The date on the board read 2 May 2013. Quite the jump! A quote underneath read “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past” –F. Scott Fitzgerald. Huh. The name rang a bell. Anyway, class began shortly after I arrived. First a woman with short hair and a coy smile on her face walked in to the classroom and sat behind the largest desk in front of the room. She nodded to me, but she did not say a word. I realize that this woman is the reason I came here. After the woman arrived, adolescents filled the room and muttered mysteriously to one another. They did not notice me, but I felt no surprise towards this—only my business partners can see me through the faded wrinkles in the cloth of time. Since I cannot carry out my business while the adolescents discuss a naked blue man standing on a red planet, I retrieved my journal and began to collect my necessary notes.
        Suddenly, a noise pierces the air. My arms whip to my head to cover my ears, but the noise has already ended. The students collect their belongings and leave the classroom one-by-one. Once they all leave, I turn to the women.
      “I understand you are looking for a business gonnegtion.”
       She nods and plainly states “I think we can come to a healthy agreement.”

3 comments:

  1. The cliff-hanger ending left me with the question of what Ms. Serensky could possibly want from Meyer Wolfsheim. Since I still have no idea what the particular details behind his business consist of I can only assume that Ms. Serensky has something sinister in mind for your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your wording and structure choices in this blog, as you wrote in a way that would not seem out of place in the 1920s. This allowed your writing to seem more believable in the first person, and allowed for the convergence of the two eras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wonder what other people or students from other schools would think of our AP English class if they sat in on it for a day, but I have never considered the perspective of a person from another era, so I found your story quite interesting. On another note, I also find your inclusion of the quote on the board quite compelling. Since today (technically) ended our career as AP English students, I began to feel slightly nostalgic toward my high school years and my two years in AP English. Therefore, I wonder whether Meyer's time travel and Ms. Serensky's mysterious business gonnection could relate to nostalgia and our teacher's own yearning for her past.

    ReplyDelete