Tuesday, April 9, 2013

SOSS (Save Our Social Statuses)

      Judgment: the ultimate high school petty crime. From a strange outfit one sees in the hallway to the occasional wish to lash out at a good friend, I believe the majority of us can admit to having committed such offenses.  Although petty in nature throughout high school, I often feel nervous for the judgment that my classmates will pass on me in college. Will they think me strange if I remain too quiet? Obnoxious if I act too outgoing? The balance seems so delicate, and my nerves come alive whenever I think of the tightrope I will balance in just a few months. As a whole, however, I hope to uphold the same persona I have developed throughout high school while at the University of Michigan. I want to appear knowledgeable to my fellow classmates, for I fear they will possess intellectual capacities far greater than my own. I want to appear quick-witted and good natured, for I often find myself searching for these qualities in others. Most importantly, I want my future classmates to view me as friendly. As a self-proclaimed homebody, I fear the swell of homesickness throughout my first few months at Michigan. I accept this fear, and I can only hope that I will have a new group of friends that can help me along the way. With the passing of petty high school judgment, I believe I can slip into my new Ann Arbor life with ease—as long as I can disprove any scarlet and grey ties of course.

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I fear that homesickness may play a rather detrimental role in the long and tedious process of making friends at college. As a fellow homebody, I can completely empathize with your fear and have often wondered how to counter it. Unfortunately, so far I have nothing. If I do have a miraculous stroke of genius within the next few weeks and can figure out a way to remedy that, I will make sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, I too wonder if I will ever feel home sick considering my options of schools sit ten+ hours away from home. However, I have always planned on venturing out of Ohio for my college experience. I believe only by putting yourself in a setting where you learn to manage yourself can you truly become independent, which will benefit us all highly in the long run.

    ReplyDelete